All people are equal before the law. However, a good attorney makes a significant difference.

What To Do When Nonpayment Of Child Support Leads To A Suspended Driver’s License

When a parent fails to pay court-ordered child support, it can lead to serious legal consequences. One penalty that can impact every aspect of a person’s life is denial of the renewal of a driver’s license.

At Sralla Family Law PLLC in San Antonio, we understand the difficulties that families face if one parent struggles to pay court-ordered child support and has their license suspended. Our knowledgeable team works to protect parents’ driver’s licenses of parents and ensure that they can continue to support their families.

What Situations Might Lead To A Nonrenewable License?

In Texas, the Texas Attorney General may mark a license as “non-renewable” if they do not comply with the terms of their child support order. Failing to pay court-ordered child support payments for three months or follow a court-ordered repayment schedule can lead to a license suspension. Parents may also face issues if they fail to appear in court after receiving a subpoena or if they violate a custody-related court order.

If these situations arise, you will receive notice that you cannot renew your license. While you can still drive until your license expires, driving after your license expires will lead to serious penalties.

Can I Get My License Back?

If you are at risk of having your license suspended due to nonpayment of child support, there are steps you can take to protect your ability to drive. In situations where you believe that your license suspension was the result of an error, you can request a hearing to show evidence that the Attorney General should not have suspended your license.

Complying with the terms of your court order – whether that means appearing in court or making missed child support payments – will allow you to renew your license again. You may also need to pay late fees to restore your license.

In either situation, you may want to seek legal guidance to fully understand your legal options. An attorney can help you address a nonrenewable license and potentially work toward a modification if your child support arrangement needs to change.

Take Steps To Address The Impact Of Nonpayment Today

If you struggle to pay child support, have concerns about the impact of nonpayment on your license or face other family law concerns, experienced guidance can help you move toward a brighter future. Call Sralla Family Law PLLC at 210-600-9565 or reach out to our firm online to schedule an initial consultation.